Depending on the type of emergency, it may be necessary to either
evacuate from a building or to Shelter in Place
- remain in the building until emergency management officials advise it
is safe to leave.
- In the event of a fire alarm or if instructed by emergency
personnel to evacuate, EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY using the nearest emergency
- Do not use elevators unless directed to do so. Never use elevators
during a fire alarm.
- Once outdoors, move to your evacuation assembly area. Check in and
report missing persons, injuries, damages and/or potentially hazardous
conditions to your supervisor or designated point of contact. Keep streets,
fire lanes, and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- Supervisors and designated points of contact should contact the
Vanderbilt University Police Department to report any immediate emergencies.
- Do not re-enter the building until cleared by Vanderbilt University
Police or on-site emergency personnel.
NOTE: Review and practice evacuation routes, assembly areas, and
procedures for your office, classroom, laboratory, residence hall, or
other facility BEFORE an emergency happens.
To contact the Vanderbilt University Police Department in an emergency:
- Call 911 from any campus phone.
- Call (615) 322-2222 from any other phone.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center Quick Reference for evacuation.
Evacuation - General
Evacuation - Disabilities
Shelter in Place
Hazardous Materials Spill
to these Security guides requires
login with VUNet ID & e-password.)
Medical Center students, staff and faculty should also refer to the
VUMC Emergency Response Quick Reference Guide
and the VUMC
Safety & Emergency Operations Manual.