Radioactive Material Spill
- Confine the spill.
- Isolate the area, closing doors as you leave.
- Prevent others from entering the area.
- Isolate all individuals involved in spill.
- Notify VUPD immediately! Call 911 from any campus phone, or (615) 421-1911 from any cell phone.
- Notify Environmental Health & Safety (322-2057) or if outside regular office hours, call the VEHS Emergency Pager (835-4965).
- Only trained radiation workers should clean up the spill.
- If students are exposed, instruct them to go to the Student Health Center (322-2427), or if after regular office hours, to the VUMC Emergency Department.
- If staff or faculty are exposed, instruct them to go to the Occupational Health Clinic (936-0955) or, after regular office hours, the VUMC Emergency Department. Complete a First Report of Injury report.
For more detailed information:
To contact the Vanderbilt University Police Department in an emergency:
- Call 911 from any campus phone.
- Call (615) 421-1911 from any other phone.
See also Radiation Safety.