University Campus Fire Safety
Fire safety is everyone's responsibility.
- Learn emergency evacuation routes for your building, and review fire safety rules for your building or department.
- In a fire, the quicker you can access fire safety equipment the better, so become familiar with the location of fire extinguishers and manual fire alarm stations in your building.
- Consult the VU Emergency Guides for Fire Safety, Evacuation and Evacuation for persons with disabilities.
- Watch the Vanderbilt Fire Extinguisher training video (8 minutes).
Smoking is prohibited in all buildings on the Vanderbilt campus. Smoking is also prohibited outside on the Vanderbilt campus,
with the exception of designated smoking locations.
VUPD and VEHS Fire and Life Safety Services
- VUPD is the primary contact for the Metropolitan Nashville and State of Tennessee Fire Marshal's Offices. If a Fire Marshal schedules an inspection for your building, contact VUPD in advance of the scheduled date so that a Safety Officer will be able to attend. VUPD, VEHS and other departments will work with you to implement any recommendations or required changes resulting from an inspection.
- VUPD can also help with
- Evaluation of exit access, especially in large assembly areas prior to events with 1000 or more anticipated attendees.
- Development of criteria for fire and life-safety systems when planning for occupancy changes, operational changes, remodeling, or additions to buildings. When necessary, VEHS will help you develop interim life safety measures to implement during the construction.
- Review of existing building and department-specific Evacuation Plans, and suggestions for refinements and improvements.
- Residential Fire Drills
In cooperation with the Office of Housing and Residential Education, VUPD coordinates fire drills for all campus residence halls.
- Campus Fire Drills
VUPD will assist departments with fire drill coordination when requested by building or department administrators.
- Hospital & Clinic Fire Drills
VEHS provides both online and live fire safety training for the Vanderbilt community.
- Student Fire Safety Training
- Students have access to the Burning Issues online training for residence hall fire safety.
- Residential Housing staff members are provided with fire and life safety training prior to the beginning of each fall semester.
- Fire Safety advice and training is provided to the Greek community on an as-needed basis.
- Departmental fire safety training is provided upon request.
Fire Pit Usage at Vanderbilt
Thinking about having a fire pit on campus? Please follow these simple steps:
1. Fill out the Fire Pit Regulations Form.
2. Submit the form to Jessamyn Davis at least 3 days before the date of the requested event.
Note: Additional information and a site visit from the Office of Emergency Preparedness, Fire & Workplace Safety may be required prior to approval.