Depending on the type of emergency, it may be necessary to either evacuate from a building or to Shelter in Place - remain in the building until emergency personnel advise it is safe to leave.
- In the event of a fire alarm or if instructed by emergency personnel to evacuate, EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY using the nearest emergency exit.
- Do not use elevators unless directed to do so. Never use elevators during a fire alarm.
- Once outdoors, move to your designated rally point area. Check in and report missing persons, injuries, damages and/or potentially hazardous conditions to your supervisor or designated point of contact. Keep streets, fire lanes, and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- Supervisors and designated points of contact should contact the Vanderbilt University Police Department to report any immediate emergencies.
- Do not re-enter the building until cleared by Vanderbilt University Police or on-site emergency personnel.
NOTE: Review and practice evacuation routes, assembly areas, and procedures for your office, classroom, laboratory, residence hall, or other facility BEFORE an emergency happens.
The Vanderbilt University Campus Evacuation Plan is currently under construction.
To call Vanderbilt University Police in an emergency:
- Dial 911 from any campus phone.
- Dial from any other phone.