NEVER clean up a chemical spill unless you have received appropriate training. Chemical safety training is available through the Vanderbilt Environmental Health & Safety department. In the event of a chemical spill:
- Evacuate everyone in the immediate area.
- Isolate the area, closing doors as you leave and prevent others from entering the area.
- Notify the Vanderbilt University Police Department (VUPD) immediately! Dial 911 from any campus phone, or 615-421-1911 from any cell phone.
- Notify Environmental Health & Safety (VEHS) at 615-32(2-2057) or if outside regular office hours, call the VEHS Emergency Pager at 615-835-4965.
- Keep people away from the spill and await the arrival of trained personnel.
- Obtain the Material Safety Data Sheet on the chemical, if known. Find the MSDS SDS information on the Internet at www.safety.vanderbilt.edu/msds/.
- If students are exposed, they should report immediately to the Student Health Center 615-32(2-2427). If after hours, they should report to the VUMC Emergency Department 615-32(2-3391).
- If staff or faculty are exposed, instruct them to report to the Occupational Health Clinic 615-93(6-0955). If after hours, they should report to the VUMC Emergency Department 615-32(2-3391).
- Complete a First Report of Injury report if any employee is involved. If you have questions, contact Risk Management at 615-93(6-0660).
To call the Vanderbilt University Police Department in an emergency:
- Dial 911 from any campus phone.
- Dial (615) 421-1911 from any other phone.