For your room, each of your classrooms, and other locations that you frequent (dining facilities, student centers, etc.)
- Be aware of your surroundings. Know your room and floor layouts. Know where building exits are located. Know alternate routes to reach exits. Know where you can shelter in place.
- Determine how the door(s) might be secured and barricaded.
- Identify furnishings or other items that might be used as shields, or, if it comes to it, projectiles or weapons.
- Get in the habit of making the above observations when in new environments.
- Check and update your contact information for AlertVU to receive incident alerts via telephone, email or text messages at emergency.vanderbilt.edu/alertvu.
At the conclusion of the incident, students may need to remain in the area to be interviewed by police investigating the incident. Students are encouraged to contact their families and significant others to let them know they are safe. Students who evacuated the scene of the incident or were witnesses to the incident should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.